Sunday, October 2, 2011

TWENTIETH ANNIVERSARY EDITION OF NIRVANA'S NEVERMIND

I don't think there has been a more important day in the history of the United States of America than September 24, 1991. That was the day that Nirvana's Nevermind was released.
I can tell you where I was the first time I heard it. I was in college, working on my electronic media degree and living in a small apartment on Elm Street between two frat houses near M.S.U (then known as S.M.S.U). It was on a rather warm day, shortly before Halloween, that heard this song being blasted from a stereo system in the backyard of the frat house on the left of the apartment building. I remember thinking "Now that is what music is supposed to sound like." I saw one of the frat members and asked him what the song was. He told me the group was called Nirvana and showed me the cassette's cover (Yes, kids it was on cassette in those days). I went that night and bought a copy.
Nirvana's Nevermind came out at a time when heavy metal bands were recording lame love ballads just to get airplay among the New Kids On the Block and Whitney Houston songs dominating the airwaves. Most AOR stations were playing bar bands and older artist like John Hiatt, Don Henley and Bonnie Raitt between the power ballads. With the exception of Guns N Roses and Metalica, AOR was turning into music for men in a midlife crisis.
Nirvana changed all of that! It revitalized rock and roll much the way the Beatles did in 1964 and the Sex Pistols did in 1976.
That is why I'm excited about this 20th anniversary edition of Nevermind. I'm saving up my money to buy a copy. Not a day goes by that I don't listen to "Smells Like Teen Spirit," so I know I will enjoy this one. It is hard to believe it has been around for 20 years, because it seems like only yesterday that I heard it for the first time.
It is also hard for me to believe that a local scumbag blogger and trouble maker named Stormy dared to slam Kurt Cobain on Facebook. He also slammed John Lennon in the same post.
Because of that I'm posting a BEST OF DESDINOVA of the most popular post ever, in which I explain how the radio industry's ingnoring Nirvana caused it to lose younger listeners.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...