Wednesday, March 6, 2013

HEAVY METAL IPOD PLAYLIST 1: EVOLUTION


I promised a heavy metal playlist and I deliver. Even though I made a disco playlist last time, my heart will always be with heavy metal. I was a huge fan of the "hair bands" of the 80s, as were many people in my age group. However, I was a hardcore headbanger and wanted to learn the history of heavy metal. I wanted to go back to the beginning of the genre and experience it to the fullest.

So let us go back to the prehistoric days of heavy metal as it evolved into one the greatest rock and roll genres ever. Turn on your black lights and lava lamps, stare at you posters on Barnabas Collins and Raquel Welch, read some Lovecraft and Vonnegut and contemplate taking down Tricky Dicky while you listen to these early metal tracks.

NOTE TO YOUNGER READERS: The definition of what qualifies as heavy metal has changed over the years. These songs were a one time considered heavy metal by rock music journalist and historians.  Don't try to argue with me on this.

"Wild Thing" - The Troggs
"I Can Only Give You Everything" - Them
"Shapes of Things" - The Yardbirds
"Come See Me" - The Pretty Things
"All of the Day, All of the Night" - The Kinks
"Talk Talk" - The Music Machine
"I Had Too Much To Dream" Electric Prunes
"We Ain't Got Nothing Yet" - The Blues Magoos
"Pushing Too Hard" - The Seeds
"Summertime Blues" - The Blue Cheer
"Fire" - Jimi Hendrix Experience
"My Fire Department Needs a Fireman" - The Shadows of Night
"You Keep Me Hanging On" - Vanilla Fudge
"Beacon From Mars" - Kaleidoscope
"White Room" - Cream
"I Can See For Miles" - The Who
"Pride of Man" - Quicksilver Messenger Service
"Oz Lee Eaves Drops" - The Other Half
"Beck's Bolero" - Jeff Beck Group
"No Fun" - The Stooges
"Kick Out the James" - MC5
"Man of the World" - Fleetwood Mac
"Dark Eyed Woman" - Spirit
"Evil Woman (Don't Play No Games)" - Black Sabbath
"In A Gadda Da Vida" - Iron Butterfly
"Born To Be Wild" - Steppenwolf
"How Many More Times" - Led Zeppelin
"Hush" - Deep Purple
"Into The Sun" - Grand Funk Railroad
"Song for Jeffrey" - Jethro Tull
"Did You See Her Eyes" - Illusion
"Funk 49" - James Gang
"Prodigal Son" - The Amboy Dukes
"No Time" - The Guess Who
"I Heard Her Call My Name" - The Velvet Underground
"I'm Going Home" - Ten Years After
"Nightmare" - Elias Hulk
"Gypsy Part 1" - Gypsy
"Back To The River" - The Damnation of the Adam Blessing
"I Don't Need No Doctor" - Humble Pie
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...