Friday, May 4, 2012

THE NEW BLOGS FIRST BIRTHDAY

May 6th will mark the first anniversary since I started the New Adventures of Desdinova the Super Villain of the Ozarks. While the support has not been overwhelming, I will say I have had only one negative comment, which wasn't published because it wasn't very coherrent. I have also found out something about doing a retro blog. Response to a post can be very slow. I might post something and not receive a comment until a month or two later. I am trying to build a group of readers, both old and new.

Some in the Springfield area say they miss the vicisous satirical humor of the old blog. Part of my reason for changing was my humor may have upset people that could eventually hire me for a job. I've heard a rumor that I may have been blacklisted by some of the local media outlets. I'm not sure if that will hold water since there is so much turn over in the radio industry these days. Of course, since I hold a media degree, I could always work in TV or newspaper (except the News Leader - I think I've hacked them off).

Another good thing about this switch is that I appeal to people outside the Ozarks. I'm always surprised by the places the visitors to this new sight come from.

For awhile I linking the new post to the old blog. That got to hectic. The only thing I have posted on the old blog recently was another failed April Fools gag. I messed it up and it posted too early (March 31st). However, I will place this post on the old blog as well, I hope that I can get some of the old subscribers and readers to come over here.

Looking at stats I'm surprised at what has been popular and what hasn't been popular. It may have been labeling or something. As I said earlier some post may be around for awhile before they take off. One that is not in the Top 10 but always surprises me when it gets hits is an old Campbell's Soup ad featuring a recipe for an easy hollandaise sauce. After the Countdown to Halloween, I thought I would lead up to Thanksgiving with recipes from old magazines and readers. That idea didn't excite folks but over time that one post has had several hits here and there, because people specifically look for it. Apparently, it was something people remember and that was what I wanted this to be.

I want people to remember pop culture from the past, but still try to respect the curent pop culture. I hated when old timers trash and slamed the things I liked when I was a kid. I'll admit I have been kind of hard on The Waltons here and country music, but that has to do with the culture of the Ozarks and my personal experience. Some have laughed that this new blog have become a repository for obituaries of famous people. Usually I link to another sight on those, because of time contraints. However, I feel they are good drawing cards to the blog and some of them are overlooked by the search engine home pages these day.

Here is the TOP 10 MOST POPULAR POST IN THE FIRST YEAR:
  1. HOW TO WRITE ONE OF THE CURRENT CUT & PASTE COUNTRY SONGS
  2. I STILL DON'T LIKE THE WALTONS
  3. CUTTING LOOSE (AN ODD 70s COMPILATION LP)
  4. BORING BACK TO SCHOOL CLOTHES THAT PHOEBE CATES CAN'T EVEN MAKE SEXY
  5. WHO SHOULD REPLACE CHRISTIAN BALE AS BATMAN?
  6. DESDINOVA'S LIST OF TV GREATEST WESTERNS
  7. LOOKING BACK ON FIVE YEARS OF BLOGGING
  8. SHERWOOD SCHWARTZ OBIT
  9. THE FART HEARD AROUND THE WORLD ON TV
  10. WHO REALLY KILLED JAZZ-HORN ROCK? NOT PRESIDENT NIXON
I'll keep blogging and you keep reading.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...